First Year Experience – Undergraduate Discussion Leader Positions for ERC1 – First Year Experience & ERC2 – Transfer Year Experience, Eleanor Roosevelt College
Are you interested in academic leadership and teaching opportunity serving as a Discussion Leader for the freshman or transfer First Year Experience Course in Fall 2019? If so, please read the following information.
Applications are due by 12 noon on Wed., January 23, 2019 to ERC Provost’s Office (3rd Floor) or the MMW Office (2nd Floor) in the ERC Administrative Building or by email (in PDF or MS Word formats only) to ERC Operations Specialist Burcu Tanyeri at email@example.com
Questions? Contact Prof. Matthew Herbst, MMW Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Successful candidates must be in good academic standing and have completed 90 units by the beginning of Fall 2019.
- Successful candidates must have completed MMW by Fall 2019.
- All Discussion Leader candidates are required to successfully complete a 7-week training in weeks 3-9 during Spring 2019. Please plan to attend either the 4:00-6:00pm training on Mondays OR 5:00-7:00pm training on Tuesdays. Training location: Thurgood Marshall Conference Room 127. All FYE DL candidates will be paid for the spring training.
- First-time DLs receive 2-units of course credit for ERC1. Returning DLs are paid.
- NOTE: some departments prohibit students from holding a concurrent job. If you are employed at UCSD, check with your existing supervisor.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS
- Successfully complete the Spring training session (Spring 2019)
- Attend all Discussion Leader meetings (Fall 2019)
- Attend all lectures of ERC1 (Fall 2019)
- Lead one discussion section, 1 hour per week (Fall 2019)
- Assist with grading and proctoring for the course (Fall 2019)
- Hold office hours, 1 hour per week (Fall 2019)
- Other duties as needed, such as administrative duties, quizzes, and preparation for sections (Fall 2019)
For more information, visit fye.ucsd.edu.
First Year Experience Course Discussion Leader Application
Please provide the following information:
Name ________________________________ PID__________________ Major: ________________________
Current Address _____________________________________________
Email __________________ Primary Phone Number: ___________________
Have you ever participated in an FYE course? □ Yes □ No
Are you a returning FYE Discussion Leader? □ Yes □ No
Are you a transfer student? □ Yes □ No
Which FYE course do you prefer to teach for? □ Freshman □ Transfer □ No Preference
Will you have completed the MMW sequence by Fall 2019? □ Yes □ No
Will you have completed 90 UCSD units by the beginning of Fall 2019? □ Yes □ No
Other College(s) attended (if any): ______________________
To apply submit: 1] this signed application form, 2] a current CV, and 3] answers to the following questions on a separate document:
Employment and/or Volunteer Experience
Please print and attach this form along with a current cv and the following information:
- Why do you want to be a First Year Experience Discussion Leader?
- In your opinion, what qualities and skills would make an effective Discussion Leader? What would you like to accomplish in this position?
- Why do you believe you would make a good First Year Experience Discussion Leader?
- Explain any relevant experience, including teaching or tutoring experience, organizational involvement, leadership, etc.
- Submit names and contact information for two references.
Applicant Signature Date
Submit this application to the ERC Provost’s Office (3rd Floor) or the MMW Office (2nd Floor) in the ERC Administrative Building or by email (in PDF or MS Word formats only) to ERC Operations Specialist Burcu Tanyeri at email@example.com by 12 noon on Wed, January 23, 2019.
For more information, visit fye.ucsd.edu